HOME MADE FINGER MILLET (RAGI) PORRIDGE FOR BABIES
Are you looking for something healthier for your baby? Is your baby dealing with weight gain problems? Certainly this is not only my tension, every mother is worried about what healthy and nutritious food should they include in their babies diet to see them grow healthy.
Ragi (Finger Millet) also known
as Nachni in Northern part of India, which is highly rich in Calcium, Iron, Proteins, Fibres and Minerals, can be included in your babies diet. Even I have included ragi porridge in my daughters diet when she completed 3 months.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF FINGER MILLET PER 100g
Vitamins A1 0.48mg
Thiamine (B1) 0.33mg
Riboflavin (B2) 0.11mg
Niacin (B3) 1.2mg
(Source from Wikipedia)
This cereal is rich in Amino acid methionine helps in gaining weight and improves there digestion. The Fibre content in Ragi lowers Cholesterol and help to maintain blood sugar levels.
As it contains excessive calcium, it helps strengthens the babies bones.
Now let’s move on to the preparation of porridge:
- Wash Ragi seeds thoroughly and soak them in water overnight or for about 10 – 20 minutes.
- Put the soaked ragi seeds in a blender. Add water in between to smoothen it.
- Take a sauce pan and line it with a clean white muslin cloth. Put the ragi paste over the cloth. Squeeze out the milk like substance into the sauce pan.
- Heat the sauce pan and keep it on low flame stirring continuously. When the mixture turns thick, add jaggery syrup or any other sweetners. I am using kalkandam (rock sugar) which is also known as Misri in Hindi, in this recipe here.
- Add ¼ cup of milk and cook well for another 2- 3 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp Ghee at the end and your healthy porridge is ready.